Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Merry Christmas

Adam's last email was such a great message of what Christmas is really all about. Here it is:

Merry Christmas! We all live in different places. Most of us have seen or lived in different places and we all know that there are different customs and traditions that follow the holiday season. To some it may mean that there are different foods and different songs. I am so pleased by the Christians here in India. Being a minority christianity, Christians here have a tradition of hanging a large, beautiful, lone star out side of their houses. These stars all hang out side, a symbol to the world that Christ was born in this house. You see them about 1 in 40. Another tradition that is a little different to me is that EVERY christian goes to church on christmas eve, or Christmas day. Some one once asked me what our church was doing on christmas. I didn't know quite what to say other than, "Well, I celebrated it with my family. It was some of the best memories I have had." I had mulled the idea over after I heard that. I recollected the times that I had spent christmas. The only thing that came to mind was the time that I had with family. Great gifts where given, but the thoughts remain. When I think of gifts that people give during christmas a line in "once in royal david's city" comes to mind. "And our eyes at last shall see him, through is own redeeming love, for that child so dear and gentle, is our lord in heav'n above. And he leads his children on to the place where he belong." Jesus christ was the greatest gift that Heavenly father could give. I know through christ the best gift of all or as it says in D&C 14:7 "if you keep my commandments, and endure to the end you shall have eternal life, which this gift is the greatest of all gifts of god!" When we celebrate with our families we can truly remember the meaning of christ and that we can truly live with our families again after this life. I love you all and wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year! Elder Adam Petersen

No comments: